1When is the Village Hall open?
Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. (except for federal holidays); Saturday: 9:00 a.m. - 12 noon; Sunday: closed
2Will the Village remove a dead animal from my property?
No but the Public Employment Department (708-649-3060) will remove dead animals from the streets and parkways. If the dead animal is located on private property, you can contact ABC Humane Wildlife at (847) 870-7175 or Smithereen Pest Management at (800) 340-1888. The Street Department will pick up a dead animal if it’s bagged and placed in your alley on garbage pick-up day.
3When do I need to purchase my vehicle sticker?
Village vehicle stickers expire on April 30 of each year. New stickers must be purchased and affixed to the front windshield of any car registered to a Bellwood address on May 1. New residents have 30 days after moving in to buy a new vehicle sticker, regardless of whether they have a current sticker from another community.
4I forgot to pay my water bill and my service was disconnected. What happens now?
You must pay the balance due plus a $100 re-connection fee before service is restored. No personal checks are accepted. If you have questions about your bill, call the Finance Department at (708) 547-3520.
5Who do I call to report a water main break or leaks?
Call the Water Maintenance Department at (708) 547-3541.
6Who do I call to report a non-emergency incident?
Contact the Police Department non-emergency number at (708) 547-3528.
7What is the overnight street parking policy?
On odd-numbered calendar days, you may park on the odd side of the street. On even-numbered calendar days, you may park on the even side of the street. If there is a situation where you will need violate this policy, call the non-emergency police number (708-547-3528) from 8:00 p.m. - 2:00 a.m.
8Does the Village offer a CPR program?
The Fire Department offers a CPR class. To register, call (708) 547-3525.
9Does every business in Bellwood need a license, including a home-based business?
Yes, call the licensing specialist at (708) 547-3500 Ext1506 for more information.
10Who do I call if my sewer is backing up?
Call the Street Department at (708) 547-3540.
11Do I have to be a Bellwood resident to use the Computer Resource Center?
No but everyone must register to receive a personalized user account.