Home : FAQ


Frequently Asked Questions

Q: The value of my property has gone down but my property tax bill has gone up. Why?

There are a few reasons. First, the Illinois state legislature decreased and phased out the 7% Expanded Homeowner Exemption. Therefore, as an example, the maximum exemption for a homeowner in south suburban Cook County will decrease as follows:

Tax Year 2008 – $33,000                   Tax Year 2011 – $20,000
Tax Year 2009 – $26,000                   Tax Year 2012 – $16,000
Tax Year 2010 – $20,000                  Tax Year 2013 -- $12,000
In other words, as your homeowners’ exemption decreases, your tax bill increases and vice versa.Here are the other reasons your tax bill might be higher:
·         There was an increase in the state multiplier (also called the equalization factor), which is determined by the Illinois Department of Revenue each year to ensure an equal assessment among all 102 counties in the state. It is applied to all second-installment tax bills.
·         More homes have been foreclosed and therefore taken off the tax rolls. In other words, each time a home is foreclosed, each remaining homeowner must pay a larger share of taxes. More individuals and businesses have filed for bankruptcy, which means they’re not contributing to the tax base and you will contribute more. There has been a rise in the number of households that don’t pay their tax bill.
·         There might be an increase in your local tax rate.Illinois law allows various local taxing districts, like Bellwood, to request dollars needed to provide services to citizens. The assessment process determines how the bill will be divided among taxpayers. However, Bellwood did NOT increase its tax levy in 2010 and will not increase the levy in 2011. In fact, the village has held the line on its tax levy for the past two years and projects to hold the line for a third year.

back to top

Q: When is the Village Hall open?

A: Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. (except for federal holidays); Saturday: 9:00 a.m. - 12 noon; Sunday: closed

back to top

Q: Will the Village remove a dead animal from my property?

A:  No but the Public Employment Department (708-649-3060) will remove dead animals from the streets and parkways. If the dead animal is located on private property, you can contact ABC Humane Wildlife at (847) 870-7175 or Smithereen Pest Management at (800) 340-1888. The Street Department will pick up a dead animal if it’s bagged and placed in your alley on garbage pick-up day.

back to top

Q: When do I need to purchase my vehicle sticker?

A: Village vehicle stickers expire on April 30 of each year. New stickers must be purchased and affixed to the front windshield of any car registered to a Bellwood address on May 1. New residents have 30 days after moving in to buy a new vehicle sticker, regardless of whether they have a current sticker from another community.

back to top

Q: I forgot to pay my water bill and my service was disconnected. What happens now?

A: You must pay the balance due plus a $100 re-connection fee before service is restored. No personal checks are accepted. If you have questions about your bill, call the Finance Department at (708) 547-3520.

back to top

Q: Who do I call to report a water main break or leaks?

A: Call the Water Maintenance Department at (708) 547-3541.

back to top

Q: Who do I call to report a non-emergency incident?

A: Contact the Police Department non-emergency number at (708) 547-3528.

back to top

Q: What is the overnight street parking policy?

A: On odd-numbered calendar days, you may park on the odd side of the street. On even-numbered calendar days, you may park on the even side of the street. If there is a situation where you will need violate this policy, call the non-emergency police number (708-547-3528) from 8:00 p.m. - 2:00 a.m.

back to top

Q: Does the Village offer a CPR program?

A: The Fire Department offers a CPR class. To register, call (708) 547-3525.

back to top

Q: Does every business in Bellwood need a license, including a home-based business?

A: Yes, call the licensing specialist at (708) 547-3500 Ext1506 for more information.

back to top

Q: Who do I call if my sewer is backing up?

A: Call the Street Department at (708) 547-3540.

back to top

Q: Do I have to be a Bellwood resident to use either of the two Computer Resource Centers?

A: No but everyone must register to receive a personalized user account

back to top

Q: Does the Bellwood Technolgy Center offer computer training?

A: Yes, including a three-week Basic Computer Training class that is taught Monday – Friday from 5:30 - 8:30 pm. Students receive a certificate after completion.

back to top

Village of Bellwood 3200 Washington Blvd., Bellwood, IL 60104 | Village Hall Hours Mon - Fri: 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM Sat: 9:00 AM - 12 noon Sun: Closed | Contact Us
© 2017 Village of Bellwood. All rights reserved. | Site design and development by Americaneagle.com | Site Map | Privacy Policy | Terms & Conditions | RSS